The Diploma in Natural Haircare Formulation teaches you to formulate a wide range of shampoos, conditioners, treatments and styling products plus, of course, how to adapt your formulation to different hair types, needs and personal preferences.
We teach you to formulate your own haircare products by providing you with the following for each product type we cover:
- A detailed explanation of the formula type and what ingredients are used in that type of formula.
- A template formula – which gives you the percentage ranges for all the different types of ingredients. You can then use this template to create your own formulations.
- At least one example formulation where we have created a formula and explained to you each step of the product development process including who the product is for, what problems it will solve and exactly why we have chosen each ingredient and its benefit/function in the formula.
In total we include 28 example formulas to learn and practice with. Many of these examples are formulated to COSMOS or Ecocert Natural or Organic standards.
Why do we include example formulas?
- You can use these formulas/recipes exactly as they are – they are ready to use, make and enjoy!
- You can make these formulas to practice your product making skills so you see what different product types are like.
- They are teaching points so you can see how a formula is put together, how formulas for different products types are different and how a formula can be varied for different hair types.
- You can see how different vitamins, botanical extracts, active ingredients, surfactants and emulsifiers are used.
- They are inspiration for your own formulas.
Here is what we include:
How to formulate six types of shampoo:
Regular shampoo, clarifying shampoo, daily use shampoo, conditioning shampoo, anti-dandruff shampoo and solid shampoo.
Examples shampoo formulas for:
- Gentle Aloe and Chamomile Shampoo.
- Citrus Burst Clarifying Shampoo.
- Rosemary and Nettle Daily Use Shampoo.
- Kelp and Mint Conditioning Shampoo.
- Tea Tree Anti-dandruff Shampoo.
- Fragrant Orange Solid Shampoo Bar.
- Fortifying Shampoo Bar.
How to formulate six types of conditioner:
Rinse-off conditioners, leave-in conditioners, intense conditioner/hair masks, detangling spray co-wash and solid conditioner bars.
Example conditioner formulas for:
- Shea and Coconut Conditioner for Dry Hair.
- Volumizing Green Tea Leave-in Conditioner.
- Argan Repairing Intense Conditioner.
- Lavender and Mandarin Detangling Spray.
- Herbal Boost Co-wash.
- Honey and Banana Deep Conditioner Bar.
How to formulate hair treatments:
Hair oil, hair butter, hair mask, dry shampoo, Ayurvedic paste shampoo, scalp scrub and scalp serum.
Example formulas for:
- Reviving Hair Oil.
- Monoi Beauty Butter for Hair.
- Purifying Dry Shampoo with Clay.
- Detox Clay Hair Mask.
- Ayurvedic Color Protect Paste Shampoo.
- Energizing Scalp Scrub.
- Tonifying and Protecting Scalp Serum.
How to formulate styling products including:
Hair wax, hair gel, salt spray and thermo-protect spray.
Example formulas for:
- Mojito Hair Wax.
- Nourishing and Styling Hair Gel.
- Summer Look Salt Spray.
- Grapefruit Thermo-protect Spray.